[Asterisk-Users] asterisk home wiring question

Wiley Siler wsiler at education2020.com
Thu Apr 21 10:02:33 MST 2005

Just for grins....  A few thoughts.

Run Cat5 exclusively and just pull pairs for phone.  Cheaper and better
solution that CAT3 and CAT5 mixed together.
It allows you to change the end points at will.  Who knows if you may
want to change over to RJ45 ports and go total IP at some point.
You would not be able to do that with CAT3.  You would need some CAT5
and have to redo the pulls.
You also get enough pairs on CAT5 to put two phone jacks per strand
instead of just one.
Even if you ignore the rest of my email, I would consider this
seriously.

For ideas on how to wire the house, look at the Vonage website for a
graph on how Vonage suggests to wire the Vonage ATA into the house.  I
know you do not have a Vonage adapter but the same essentual
configuration for wiring should apply to your situation.  Essentually,
you disconnect the house form the PSTN then connect your * machines FXS
to any wall jack to provide tone.   This should distribute tone to all
the jacks.  Limit is around 5 analog phones if memory serves.

If your intention is to provide tone to the house with switching between
Asterisk with VoiP service (SIP or IAX from some ITSP) and a standard
PSTN line from the local telco, then you would do as described above.
Isolate your internal phone system, then pull a new jack from the PSTN
to the room where your * sits.  Plug the FXO card in your * into the new
isolated phone jack and * now has a POTS line to work with.

Voilla.  Some good dial plan management and you have an internal PBX
system that has VoIP service over your internet connection and a
connection to a POTS line.  Your internal phones will be isolated
correctly so you don't get contention issues with the external analog
link.

However, one final question.  If you are rewiring the whole house and
pulling CAT5 (right?), why not just provision each wall plates with 2
RJ45 network ports and pull two strands of CAT5 per location.  Then you
can buy a good Gigabit switch for around $300 and setup your whole house
on Gigabit.  Throw some cheap (or expensive) SIP phones on the network
and you have a really nice internal phone system.  Want to use your old
phones?  Get ATAs or IAXy devices.  That being said, I know that is a
more expensive way to go but it really does offer you a long term
solution with many benefits.

Just some thoughts!!

Cheers,
Wiley