[Asterisk-Users] Issues of reliability, hardware, platforms

Chris Mason (Lists) lists at masonc.com
Thu Apr 21 06:27:15 MST 2005

> This all assumes that CF cards are more reliable than hard
> drives (and power supplies).

That seems to be the commonly accepted fact. With no moving parts, purely
silicon, it should be as reliable as any electronics can be. Hard drives are
notoriously failure prone.

> The best solution is a cluster setup, with multiple machines,
> and no single point of failure.
Another way of looking at it is you have multiplied your chance of failure.
Unless you have built in redundancy so that one of the clustered machines
takes over from failed hardware, you will lose some of th einstallation,
which may not be acceptable.
I am very keen on the CF Card solution, I think it has great promise.

Chris