[Asterisk-Users] What do I need to get started?

Wilson Pickett spamsucks2005 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 21 01:59:18 MST 2005

> I want to set up a * box that connects to my telephone line so I can
> make calls using VOIP. Do I have to sign up for a service to do this

Yes, read the first doc below.

> can I buy a card that goes into my * box that allows me to use VOIP over
> my telephone line. If so, what card do I need? I am in the USA if that

Look at Digium.com the TDM400P is a card with 4 sockets for modules to
connect either phone lines or phones. This is the hardware interface
to nomal (home) phone lines and normal (analog) telephone equipment
such as corded or cordless phones.

Start by reading this tutorial:
http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2003/07/03/asterisk.html

The next one adds the POTS or PSTN phones
http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2004/01/22/asterisk2.html

This is good to help set up asterisk and explain some conecpts
http://www.automated.it/guidetoasterisk.htm

Reading this would be a good idea:

http://www.asteriskdocs.org