[Asterisk-Users] RE: Large Asterisk Setup (~500 Concurrent Calls + Scalability)

Stefan Märkle stefan.maerkle at netpioneer.de
Thu Apr 21 01:33:01 MST 2005

> List Members,

Hi !

> ..
> The goal of our new design is to offload the DSP to the
> Asterisk slave
> servers, then route the calls via IAX2 trunks to the Asterisk master
> server.  The Asterisk master server will provide us with a
> centralized
> point for queuing, digital recording, and music on hold, as well as
> configuration, monitoring, and reporting.  Configuration of
> the Asterisk
> slave servers would be limited to setting up extensions to
> terminate the
> incoming T1s and setting up IAX2 trunks to the Asterisk
> master server.
> These configurations would be rare, so the slave servers would be
> configured manually on the boxes themselves.

Sorry, I don't have any concrete experiences with setups like this, but
I'd see a big disadvantage of your design in your 'unscalable' master server
that will have way too much to do.

I'd consider dropping of the initialized calls back to the slave servers
(e.g. SIP reinvite), so that the master server just does the SIP registering
and the central dialplan for the setup.
Additionally you could think about using a SER for your SIP clients, that
would get SIP register load off your master too.

I am not shure whether there are means to transfer a SIP<=>IAX call to the
slave server where it would be replaced by SIP<=>ZAP termination but that would
Certainly be the most effective solution, since these slaves could be handled
Dynamically for scaling the installation.

Just my 2 cents

Stefan Märkle

--
Stefan Märkle                       Netpioneer GmbH
Head Software Architect             Beiertheimer Allee 18