[Asterisk-Users] Annoying SIP registration problem behind ?Linksys?

Tomas Florian tflorian at telus.net
Wed Apr 20 11:14:12 MST 2005

Hello,

I'm trying to use some VoIP phones behind a Linksys WRT54G router but can't
get them to register.  The annoying thing is that I've taken the phones to 3
other locations with non-Linksys NAT routers and the phones work immediately
without any problems.

I've tried STUN, outgoing proxy . everything works immediately and reliably
whenever I put the phone at the location that doesn't have the Linksys
router there , but as soon as I bring it over it refuses to register through
SIP.

All the locations that I have tried have very similar setups LAN 192.168.x.x
addresses .  The only other difference is that the location with the Linksys
has static WAN IP from a datacenter whereas the other locations have their
WAN side from a regular DSL.

The most annoying thing is that I can see that phones provisioned for a SIP
proxy that is not managed by me and I don't have access to the logs or
config work immediately at the location with Linksys . I even tried setting
everything up the same as they have on the phone and just changing the IP of
the proxy and it failed again . of course once I brought the phone to some
other location it worked immediately like always.  . so its not like the
Linksys is not capable of doing it .. it just doesn't want to work with my
asterisk setup.

Am I missing some trick to get Linksys to cooperate with my asterisk setup?

[general]
port = 5060           ; Port to bind to (SIP is 5060)
bindaddr = 142.x.x.91    ;(I also had 0.0.0.0 -  Address to bind to (all
addresses on machine)
disallow=all
allow=ulaw
allow=alaw
context = from-sip-external ; Send unknown SIP callers to this context
callerid = Unknown

[204]
username=204
type=friend
secret=*******
qualify=1000
port=5060
pickupgroup=
nat=yes	;(I also had no)
mailbox=
host=dynamic
dtmfmode=info
disallow=
context=from-internal
canreinvite=no
callgroup=
callerid="Some user" <204>
allow=

On the phone I'm using BT100 .. and I just have outgoing SIP proxy set and
no STUN no NAT IP ... it works at all locations but not Linksys (same
results when I tried doing STUN, NAT IP etc ... no luck on Linksys but
worked everywhere else)

I know that the best way to isolate this problem is to switch the Linksys
router to some that I have seen working (or borrow their Linksys and try to
see if it works at some other location) . I'll do that but the trouble is I
didn't have a chance yet because the client sees VoIP phones registering
with another proxy without problems and is skeptical that the router has
anything to do with it . I'm skeptical also but I'm just out of ideas on
what else could be the problem .

Another thing that I'm not sure about is how it works with the SIP registry
on asterisk . is it possible that it's somehow remembering the locations /
configurations or that the entries for that location were corrupted
somehow???

Any ideas anyone?

Thank you very much,
Tomas