[Asterisk-Users] G723.1 and G729 on Athlon 64

Kanuri, Seshu (Company IT) Seshu.Kanuri at morganstanley.com
Wed Apr 20 07:27:47 MST 2005

Ron,

Here is what I think.

Ready technology code will compile only with Intel IPPs. But there are
two options, either 1) you compile the codec using Intel IPPs to provide
the C and other base library functions, in which case you have to have
the Intel libraries and license available on each system, you are
running the .so Codec file. In this case the .so file size will remain
smaller. When I did this the codec_g729X.so file size is  300k on a
Redhat9. G723 is about the same.

2) In the second option you can chose to compile the codec by opting to
embed the libraries into the .so file itself. This way when the module
is loaded, it will not look for intel libraries. But the file size will
be larger. When I did this the G729 codec file size 418,653 bytes.

Probably the second option can be used and the module file copied to
Athlon based Asterisk box and that might work. I don't use AMD hence I
did not test this. But if you test it, please let me know, one way or
the other.

Seshu