[Asterisk-Users] Issues of reliability, hardware, platforms

Chris Mason (Lists) lists at masonc.com
Wed Apr 20 04:26:49 MST 2005

I'm sure this has been debated before, I'd like to get peoples input. I see
the hard drive as the single most likely point of failure on an * PBX. How
reasonable would it be to run the OS and config files from a CF card, mount
the /var/partition on a hard drive for the CDR recortds, logs and databases,
and do some kind of test on bootup that would turn off those features if the
hard drive was unavailable (failed)?

I am messing around with a firewall that mounts from a cf card, it got me
thinking about asterisk from a cf card, as there would be little chance of
failure.

Other than that, what have you done to ensure reliability. I am planning a
RAID1 hard drive install for my serious pbx customers, in my experience that
makes for a very reliable machine.

Chris Mason
NetConcepts
(264) 497-5670 Fax: (264) 497-8463