[Asterisk-Users] NAT issues

Steven Langley steven at intellinc.co.za
Wed Apr 20 03:11:32 MST 2005

Hi there

I have got a really strange issue and my problem is not that it is not
working, but why it is working.

I have Asterisk set up on a public IP, but the clients are behind a Port
Restricted NAT with no support for UPnP. My clients dial into a meetme
conference. When I don't specify nat=yes in the sip.conf file, then it
works?? But not sure why it works because I cannot find any reference to the
IP of the NAT in the SIP messages. I have not put in any nat support in my
custom built client either.

The reason that this is a problem is I a not sure if it will work on other
LANs, and also find it hard to debug if it is working when my research tells
me that it should not be working.

I tried putting in nat=yes in the sip.conf file, and asterisk then rewrites
the sip message with the IP of the Nat and the external port. It still
works, but only if there is a constant flow of rtp traffic. If there is a
break in the traffic, then the connection is lost. However, this problem may
be to do with the fact that pinging is disabled on our network, but not
sure.

I am really stuck here. I have read that dealing with NATs can be a big
problem, but it seems to work better when I don't put in any NAT support. Am
I missing something here? Does anyone have any ideas or advice?

Many thanks

Steven