[Asterisk-Users] US$200 bounty for * paging feature

trixter http://www.0xdecafbad.com trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Tue Apr 19 18:24:09 MST 2005

On Tue, 2005-04-19 at 18:04 -0400, Mike wrote:
> >> . close source and we own the code.
> You are no better then Microsoft.

Lets boycott hardware based SIP phone adapters while we are at it!  They
paid people to write firmware in the device as well as design the
hardware the devices use.  They must be evil for paying people to create
a product and then not making that product totally open!

I dont see a problem if he wants to own what he pays for?  The closed
source parts would apply only to the AGI that does this, not to asterisk
as a whole.  I enjoy cheap computers, if it were not for microsoft
creating windows, making computers easier to use for everyone, the mass
production and highly competitive hardware market would not exist.  If
that didnt happen the $300 computer of today would likely not exist, and
if it did it would cost more like computers did 20 years ago, $2000+ for
a bare system.

As for the other comment about 'patent fight' if its not patented there
would be no fight and it would be hard to have any serious patent on
paging (calling multiple extensions in a group which auto answer on
speaker phone or equiv when a given extension is dialed).

I dont think its bad that people want to keep ownership and control over
what they pay to create.  Nothing is preventing someone from writing a
open version of this, only if you want the $200 he is offering then he
wants to own the code.  Want to do it for free then you can do what you
want with the code.

I have worked for over 10 years in the software development industry and
during that time I was paid to write code which the company paying me
owned.  I dont think they are wrong for claiming ownership since it was
their money that caused it to happen.  This does not make me nor the
companies I worked for evil, if it did the same could be said about any
commercial enterprise, whether or not its the hardware makers who pay
people to design the systems, write the firmware, or even sell sip based
hardware phones.

--
Trixter http://www.0xdecafbad.com
UK +44 870 340 4605   Germany +49 801 777 555 3402