[Asterisk-Users] TDM400P and SCSI/SATA = * noise problems???

Boris Bakchiev boris at jildent.com.au
Tue Apr 19 16:50:56 MST 2005

We're running asterisk on a pair of 1GB 12mb/s flash cards running on
separate IDE channels.

We've setup software RAID1 to protect ourselves from failures if any of
the flash cards die.

VoiceMail is stored on a small IDE that is dedicated just for this.

It appears to work quite well. Although we don't have TDM's on our
system.

RAID
> >controller was on its own PCI bus, and the TDM card was on its own
PCI
> >bus.
> >
> >With both controllers on the bus, you can have latency issues.  For
> >example, if the RAID controller sets up a DMA of a big chunk of disk,
it
> >owns the bus for that transfer.  If an Ethernet packet is delayed by
50us
> >during that time, nobody cares.  But if the TDM card is delayed, it
most
> >certainly cares:  especially as its generating 1000 interrupts a
second!

> >That's the problem with the TDM cards.  They do *nothing* on the CPU
> side.
> > The CPU has to do *everything*, and it has to do it *immediately*.
When