[Asterisk-Users] VPN/Asterisk combo

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Tue Apr 19 16:25:50 MST 2005

> >Has anyone done this, can you recommend software that will give me traffic
> >shaping and a robust firewall with VPN capabilities?
> >

> Yes - Debian Linux (a cleaned up knoppix will give you easy install).
>
> Use n' customize wondershaper script for traffic shaping.
>
> OpenVPN will give you a great and stable VPN link.
>
> Firehol is a must for readable, no-nonsense firewalls.

Just a minor data point...

While hanging around a motel room today with 802.11 wireless, I brought
up my Win2k laptop, fired up the MS vpn client (crossing about 10 hops
plus the wireless), and placed a call using iaxcomm to * box. Host site
vpn box is a Win2k Server.

Clear as a bell with no noticable jitter/noise/cut-outs. Used gsm for
total bandwidth consumption of about 45k b/s.