[Asterisk-Users] ATA - PBX

Nir Simionovich nirs at dimitel.com
Tue Apr 19 13:58:16 MST 2005

Hi There,

  I didn't understand your question completely, so I'll answer 2 questions:

  Q. Can a PBX be connected to a Cisco ATA 186 box, where the ATA box acts
as
      the PSTN connection?

  A. In general terms, the answer would be YES. The FXS ports on the ATA
       actually require that you connect and FXO port to it. FXO ports are
the ports
       used for incoming analog lines by Digium cards and regular PBX boxes.

  Q. Can a Cisco ATA replace a regular extension connected to a PBX?

  A. Answer is no. The Cisco ATA presents FXS ports. The ports that you
connect
       phones to your PBX are also FXS ports. As FXS ports can not be cross
       connected, the connection that you are describing is not applicable.

  I hope I managed to answer your question, as I didn't fully understood
what you
asked us.

Regards,
  Nir S