[Asterisk-Users] Billing

trixter http://www.0xdecafbad.com trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Tue Apr 19 13:07:43 MST 2005

Just a note on scaling astcc, you can have a database with server
replication, so that it scales well, and doesnt subtract from the cpu
power of the asterisk boxes.  This is regardless of medium for the voice
calls.

If you then distribute the load across multiple asterisk boxes you build
in a system that is more fault tolerant and can scale better.

While I havent looked specifically at astcc it would need to ensure that
concurrent calls from the same account dont end up going over available
minutes if prepaid.  This can be accomplished by locking rows in the
database, pulling a certain amount of minutes from the database (perhaps
into a temp table incase something breaks) etc.  Then at regular
intervals pull more minutes or drop the call if none are present.  I
dont know how astcc deals with this particular issue.

A scalable solution with redundancy could be implemented with astcc
based on an overview of what it is.  The fact that you have a realtime
database for queries on calls could mean that you can have a easier time
with a web interface than batch processing radius accounting logs later.
It would also offer a prepaid solution, which would be almost impossible
with radius alone.

--
Trixter http://www.0xdecafbad.com
UK +44 870 340 4605   Germany +49 801 777 555 3402