[Asterisk-Users] Citrix

Loek Gijben Loek at Gijben.nl
Tue Apr 19 12:17:11 MST 2005

L.S.

> The citrix ICA protocol is fundamentally BAD for audio/video application in
> general, let alone something as time sensitive as VOIP.

Just stating that something is fundamentally bad without reveiling
something of the fundaments might not be very helpful...

To be clear: bidirectional sound support is planned for Metaframe
3.0, you cannot use a microphone with current Citrix versions (try
some sound application and you will see that a sound input is
missing).

In theory there could be use for a Softphone running from a Citrix
session. When there is plenty of speed and bandwith, and a beast
of a Citrix server, there is no fundamental reason not to try it.
However there are three points you must consider:
1) There will probable no setting to give priority for a realtime sound
application on the server, so you must compete with all other Citrix
sessions for processing power. It might work on some light loaded
machines.
2) There will probably be no setting to give sound priority in the ICA
channel. So for instance  a print job will render your voice
application useless.
3) Your softphone must keep the settings in userspace, and you will
have to set each client with some non conflicting ports by hand.

For a quick and dirty test I put Dante's DIAX on my Citrix server. It
installs without a problem, and I could use it to retrieve my
voicemail without  a problem. But DIAX stores the settings in a
configfile in the directory where the executable is located (you could
install Diax in each one's user directory off course :)

To comment on Rod Baker: there is nothing wrong with the ICA
protocol as it is nothing more than a kind of wrapper around some
streams (or channels). Just like any other wrapper like say an IP
tunnel.
It is just that there will likely be no incentive for Citrix to add any
prioritation scheme for sound.
I wonder what the bidirectional support will be used for. Maybe
speech recognition for Office programs?