[Asterisk-Users] Re: Citrix

Noah Miller noah at rosecompanies.com
Tue Apr 19 08:26:18 MST 2005

> Citrix is bad for anything for that matter. First and foremost it is
> not
> secure as you have to open your PC ports for Citrix to access the
> remote
> client. And same is the case for remote client as it Needs ActiveX
> installation.
>
> I have been flooded with Spyware once I did this for a client of mine.
> Spyware could steal all your call data.
>
> There is a better solution that does not need to open any ports. Check
> this out:
> http://www.iareanet.net
>
> Iareanet solution works without any client Software installation and
> has
> better speed and compression.

While I wholly agree that Citrix would be absolutely terrible for VoIP
(I mean have you heard it play even the windows welcome sound - awful),
it does not have to be so insecure.  For one, don't use NFuse, the web
based thing, just use the standard client software, then no ports need
to be opened on the client.  Second, use the strong encryption option,
and third, shut down any of the other services on the citrix server box
that would use the 1024+ port numbers.  You do still have to open up
port 80, and a block of TCP ports from 1024 up to how many connections
you'll need, but this is common practice for those that host a public
FTP server, and I'm sure a lot of people on this list do it for RTP
streams.

iareanet seems pretty interesting.

- Noah