[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk & POE

SCollins smjjscollins at comcast.net
Tue Apr 19 04:39:30 MST 2005

What PoE Switch are you thinking of using or own?  The 802.3af Spec, as I
understand it, uses a special Fast Link Pulse to detect if the Powered
Device needs to receive power.

However, there are vendors that have pre-spec (before 2003) Switches that
MAY NOT follow the spec.

There are also (2) differant types of PoE Sourcing Switches.

End-Span and Mid-Span

Mid-Span sits between the IP phone that needs powers and the Data Switch
that connects to the network.  The Mid-Span ONLY supplies power to the IP
Phone and thus requires the addition of an Ethernet Sitch or Hub to
provide the connectivity to the network.

End-Span devices incorporate the Power Sourcing capabilities of the
mid-Span and the Ethernet connectivity of a Switch.

Now it gets tricky.  As I understand the spec, and from my own experience,
a PoE Switch can source power over pins 1,2,3, and 6 as well as Ethernet
connectivity OR it can source PoE over the unused pins 4,5,7 and 8 BUT it
does not have to do both.

On the other hand, a 802.3af compliant PoE device (IP phone, Wireless AP,
Surveilance Camera)must be able to detect the FLPs on either of the (4)
pairs and then source according to what the PoE Switch is sending.

Yes, a PoE Switch can toast a NIC/PCMCIA card if the PoE Switch is a
Mid-Span device or power Injector (I don't believe these device are
capable of detecting the capabilities of a Powered Device and thus they
just source power down the designated Rx pairs - someone correct me if I'm
wrong).

I would look at the product Data Sheet for your phone and find out how it
handles sourced power and if it's 802.3af IEEE spec compliant.

Look at the PoE Swtich options Cisco, 3Com, Netgear, Asante, HP etc. I
know from experience that Cisco is a great solution if you have a big
budget for a Cat 3550.  3Com is Spec compliant and provides Power over
pins 1,2,3 and 6 ONLY. Netgear is the least expensive solution, but with
my experience it's hard to get support if you have problems with their
product, unless you purchase a Service Contract (warranty support only
entitles you to speak to 1st level Tech who can answer basic questions)

Hope some of this helped.

Sean

   tOn Tue, 19 Apr 2005 17:32:00 +1000, Paul Hales <paulh at adairs.com.au>

http://www.1and1.com/?k_id=8358073