[Asterisk-Users] Help compiling zaptel in Debian

Scott Henderson scott at finite-tech.com
Tue Apr 19 00:09:32 MST 2005

I have compile Asterisk many times on Woody without any problems.  I am
not sure about the error your are receiving but some things that you
might want to watch for.

* You need to recompile the kernel with the source for Woody I think
this is currently 2.4.18 I noticed you have 2.4.20.

* Use the kernel definition distributed with Woody, don't make this up
as you go, or things will get ugly fast every time I think I know better
I end up recompiling after it doesn't work.

* Get the tar ball distribution of Asterisk, Zaptel and libpri, don't
use the CVS.  I don't know CVS that well and I have always had trouble
getting the right version of the code.  The tar balls are a nice package
and they are stable releases.

* For the time being avoid the Debian packages, recently they got the
libpri out of sync and we had to compile things manually to bring our
system back up after everything came tumbling down.

* Don't do anything fancy, Woody is stable, asterisk and the support
software will compile if you do everything just right ;)

* All else fails you can use Sarge but the process is the same as are
the pit falls.  While all of our development systems are running Sarge
now, Sarge still has a large number of updates that you need to keep up
with and this can be frustrating.

Finally, if you are still having trouble, we build and compile these
systems regularly for customers and we can help you if you need the
assistance.

Good luck

Scott Henderson
Finite Technologies Incorporated
3763 Image Drive, Anchorage, Alaska 99504
Phone: 907.339.8085 ext 6101, Fax: 907.333.4482
http://www.finite-tech.com
http://www.chillywall.com
http://www.virtuale.cc
http://www.mphage.com