[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk & POE

Paul Hales paulh at adairs.com.au
Mon Apr 18 22:54:00 MST 2005

>From our experience (with a HP 2626-PWR) it hasn't been an issue.

PaulH

-----Original Message-----
From: asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com [mailto:asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com] On Behalf Of Callum McGillivray
Sent: Tuesday, 19 April 2005 3:18 PM
To: asterisk-users at lists.digium.com
Subject: [Asterisk-Users] Asterisk & POE

Hi Guys,

This one may be slightly off topic, but we are planning to do an asterisk installation that uses POE to supply phones with power.

Not being overly familiar with the POE standard, I'm not sure if this will cause regular network cards etc that may be plugged into a POE switch to end up being fried.

A quick squizz around seems to tell me that the IEEE standard 802.3af incorporates some form of "auto sensing" Algorithm that allows the switch to detect if it should supply power to a particular device.

Can someone confirm for me if I can have VOIP phones using POE and regular network cards plugged into the same switch ?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Callum
To UNSUBSCRIBE or update options visit: