[Asterisk-Users] ISDN BRI vs. VOIP DID's, is it worth it?

Gregory Wiktor - ADCom Corp. gw at adcomcorp.com
Mon Apr 18 17:49:41 MST 2005

At this point, I am trying Teliax.com.  There service is good, though I
would be happier if they had a NY server, I get 61ms ping times...

Reliability, I can use an alternate provider, and teliax supports using
an alternate number if my * is unavailable.

I have a BRI in one office, which I am going to direct toll-free numbers
to.  Quality here is an issue.

In my other office, quality is not as much an issue as reliability. I am
more concerned with the provider going belly-up, so I am using toll-free
from a regular company, and directing the calls to a teliax local did.
(I was around when many dsl providers like northpoint went belly-up)

Really the question is, is it worth spending $54.95/month via Verizon
for a bri, or about $44.95 for a teliax plan with an additional did or
two.  I am thinking of network lag here.

Right now I can get an upto 1 second delay if I call myself, which is a
bit high.

If I get a BRI, and forward a call to another person via voip, have
people found a distinct quality and latency improvement to suffice using
BRI over an ITSP?

At the moment I am a single-person network consultant, but I plan to
advertise in the yellow pages, which is big $.  I want to be sure that
my incoming calls, which would come into my office and be directed to a
voip sales agent, would be reliable enough so people wouldn't just call
the next number in the book.

Thanks for any advice...

Greg