[Asterisk-Users] Calling Card

Race Vanderdecken asteriskusers at codetyrant.com
Mon Apr 18 09:37:17 MST 2005

Yes, if I understand what you are asking.

1. The Card User calls to your asterisk PBX.
2. Asterisk answers the call on line 1.
3. Asterisk places an outgoing call on line 2 bridging the lines.

(That is how it works in the SIP world.)

So you would need an FXO/FSO pair of lines to let them make a call in
the analog/digital/TDM world.

Now, as to the definition of a line:

Line 1 is a PSTN line because they are using a calling card to get to
your Asterisk PBX.

Line 2 could be a VoIP line to another Asterisk PBX or like PBX/switch.

In this case you only need 1 PSTN/Analog/DS0 type line to receive
incoming calls.

---

If you provide the calling card person with a VoIP phone, then you don't
need the PSTN lines. Because both line 1 and line 2 are IP connections.

My guess is that you want to start a calling card business based on
VoIP. Then you need PSTN (Telephone Company) lines to collect the
incoming PSTN calls and convert those calls to the internet VoIP calls.

If you want to host termination of calls, that is where calls come "long
distance" into your PBX and you convert them back into local calls. This
is where you partner with another calling card provider and he
terminates his calls to your phone lines locally. The two of you trade
off call termination; the one who makes the most calls pays the
difference to the other guy for using his lines for out going calls to
the PSTN lines.

Is that your questions?

Either way you need to remember to budget for a billing system.

Race "The Tyrant" Vanderdecken