[Asterisk-Users] Re: Unbelievable...

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Mon Apr 18 09:01:28 MST 2005

> > As only one individual, I thought their statements were very straight-
> > forward and clear. Having worked as a senior manager in a technical
> > organization, a large number of tehcnical people simply do not
> > comprehend some words (or read other words into whatever they happen
> > to be reading), or, jump to conclusions based on their technical
> > knowledge that are unreasonable (contractually or otherwise).
> >
> > The wording is very obviously oriented toward those types, and I'd
> > bet a fair amount they _still_ receive calls that are clearly answered
> > on their web site.
> >
> > Regardless of what their web site says, they've provided me with the
> > best service of the half dozen itsp's that I've worked with directly.
> > And, I don't work for them or represent them.
> >

> Interesting you say that, since I thought their statement wasn't that
> offensive, but rather looked like a fairly emotional reaction to the
> severe pressure they might experience right now, and which, as they
> say, apparently starts comsuming resources better spent on trouble
> shooting.
>
> Especially, those of us who have already worked in some kind of online
> business will recognize the situation and mood they apparently are in,
> and how unpleasant it can be. Although, on the other hand, a pissed
> off customer understandably might have a hard time feeling
> compassionate.
>
> Anyway, I think that just because ppl take money for service doesn't
> necessarily obligate them to take any shit customers might come up
> with as well. It's the service which is paid for, so if it isn't
> delivered for whatever reasons, all one basically is entitled to is
> getting the money back and maybe compensation, depending on the type
> of service and contract.
>
> Also, it's clear whom they are addressing in that statement,
> i.e. those people who continue mounting pressure on them through
> various channels in a counterproductive and 'abusive' fashion, some of
> them maybe really just to 'vent frustrations'. Well, if so, why not
> let them do their venting in that particular direction as well and
> move on to the real issues ... ?

Given the number of people on this list that don't understand how nat
works, why their registration fails, etc, I can just about guess at the
type of support calls/emails they get and the level of hand-holding they
have to be asked for to implement a relatively simple asterisk link.

I honestly feel the wording on their pages are right on base. Their
name to fame is not orented around 1,000's of home-bodies trying to
implement their first sip adapter. Their business is certainly targeted
at the high-volume traffic, and as such, they deal with more technical
types that think the problem is always at other end.

Those that are offended by the wording are probably very thin skinned
techies.