[Asterisk-Users] Motherboard failure with 2 Digium TE405P cards

mattf mattf at vicimarketing.com
Mon Apr 18 07:34:51 MST 2005

Hello,

I have spend a long time trying to figure out exactly what is the problem
with one of my Asterisk servers, it is the only one at any of our locations
that has two Digium quad T1 cards in it with 7 T1s connected to it. Most of
the rest of our Asterisk servers run identical hardware except that they
only have a single TE405P board in them. Here's what seems to happen to this
system starting 6 months ago:

Take brand new Asus motherboard with P4 processor, 2GB RAM, SATA or SCSI
drives and two TE405P Digium quad T1 boards. Hook up one local and one long
distance T1, hook up 4 crossover PRIs to other telco equipment, hook up one
channelbank.

The system will run perfectly for about 5 weeks, then randomly the channel
bank users will notice a weird audio cracking sound and the system will
crash. Upon investigation the second TE405P card will have it's lights all
off and on reboot they will not go back on again. After frantically
switching the PCI slot that the lights-out card was in to a free slot the
card works again and everything is happy again, but now no digium card will
work in the other slot again. Another 5 weeks or so passes and again one of
the Digium quad cards stops working. At this point I swap out the entire
system(including quad cards) with another system that has been running for 6
months with no problem and put the malfunctioning system in production with
a single quad card(which now has been running fine 4 months later) and after
6 weeks it happens to the new system. The whole process repeats itself and I
am now on my 3rd set of completely different components serving in this
role(even with different brands of components) and my first PCI slot just
failed last week. We need to have the capability to handle 7 T1s on this
machine and it is not over-heated or overloaded from a system load
standpoint. We also have $200 550W Enermax power supplies in these servers
that have never failed us before.

So here's the question, do two Digium TE405P boards draw too much power or
do something else that would harm a brand new motherboard over time?

Does anyone else out there run two quad board in production? if so what
hardware do you use?

I'm just looking for some user feedback before I contact Digium hardware
support on this.

Thanks,

MATT---