[Asterisk-Users] Illegal instruction (core dumped)

tmassey at obscorp.com tmassey at obscorp.com
Sun Apr 17 10:26:33 MST 2005

asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com wrote on 04/17/2005 11:02:51 AM:

> On April 17, 2005 05:55 am, Tom Fanning wrote:
> > Illegal instruction (core dumped)
>
> Sounds like you have compiled asterisk for a processor that is "greater"
than
> the processor you're running on.  I.e. compiled and told it to use P4
> instructions when you're on a P3, or maybe even told it to use MMX on a
Via
> processor...

This is especially true for Via processors.  They identify themselves as
686 processors, but do not implement the CMOV instruction, which GCC
considers to be a 686-class instruction.  Do a search for "Via CMOV Linux
compile" or somesuch on Google and you will see the modifications you will
need to make to the makefile to address this.

Incidentally, I believe that the latest processors (the Nehemiah C5P found
on EPIA MII boards) support CMOV.  I'm less sure, but the Nehemiah
processors themselves may also support CMOV.  The Samuel processors,
though, do *not* support CMOV.

Tim Massey