[Asterisk-Users] asterisk + OH323 + NAT + gnomemeeting

Karl J. Vesterling kjv at ken-ton.com
Sat Apr 16 22:39:09 MST 2005

H.323 will not traverse NAT.

Sorry...  I know, I was a big proponent of it when H.323 was the only
"standard" VoIP protocol out there.  Probably because when it came out NAT
wasn't even thought of.

The problem is that the control channel in H.323 discloses the internal IP
address, and the various connections attempt to connect to each other.  So
you wind up with problems like audio only in one direction, etc...

Although I get get this to solve part of the problem back in year 2K:
http://openh323proxy.sourceforge.net/
It never solved the problem entirely, and I had a lot of H.323 equipment at
the time, so I was somewhat disappointed when the asterisk project said
integration with H.323 was impossible due to licensing issues.  (Bummer)...

Your best bet is to abandon H.323 and find something other than GnomeMeeting.

That is unless you want to carry a portable asterisk box with you...

Wait a sec...  COME TO THINK OF IT!
Why not run asterisk on your linux box that you are running GnomeMeeting
on, and use it to convert between H.323 and IAX and SIP???

After all, it is a penguin...

(it's getting late, and I have to be up at 6:00AM to set up the new data
center, I'd have more to say but I need to get some sleep.  E-Mail me
directly if you need more specifics.)

Best Regards,
Karl J. Vesterling
E-Mail: kjv at ken-ton.com
Yahoo Messenger: karl_vesterling
ICQ: 1548052
AOL Instant Messenger: n2vqm

Telephone:
Washington DC: (202) 448-3009 Extension 0
Annapolis MD: (240) 524-6706 Extension 0
Bethesda MD: (301) 576-3014 Extension 0
Niagara Falls NY: (716) 286-9175 Extension 0
Buffalo NY: (716) 608-1121 Extension 0