[Asterisk-Users] Slightly [OT] Asterisk Backends

Nabeel Jafferali asterisk-lists at x2n.ca
Sat Apr 16 15:07:48 MST 2005

> Judging by the price of my single phone line it would be hard to have
> much of a margin even with a T1.

First of all, a T1 is cheaper than 23 POTS lines, as you noticed, but not by
a huge amount. However, what you must remember is that with T1, you have
DIDs. That means you can have >23 numbers ringing to the first available
channel on your T1. The provider gambles that 1 out of 4 (for example) users
will be using a channel at any time, so could support 92 (for example)
users/numbers/lines on that one T1.

> Like I said in the subject off topic but I have wondered how my voip
> provider makes any money.

Besides that, the larger providers buy in significant quantities, and pay a
lot less than what you or I would for a single T1.

--
Nabeel Jafferali
X2 Networks