[Asterisk-Users] VAD/DTX implementation through zaptel cards

Steve Kann stevek at stevek.com
Sat Apr 16 05:05:48 MST 2005

On Apr 16, 2005, at 4:32 AM, parijat wrote:

> Hi,
> Thanks for helping me out.
>
> I want to clear out few more points
>
> 1) zaptel cards receive PCM from PSTN.

They receive it in either uLaw, aLaw, or signed linear PCM, depending
on the model and what it's connected to.

> In what form do they give it to
> asterisk.
>  Do Zaptel cards CODE/DECODE PCM from PSTN to RTP or zaptel cards
> forward PCM to asterisk which converts it to RTP.

They give it to the drivers in whatever form they have.  The drivers
may convert it amongst those formats.

Asterisk doesn't always use RTP.

> 2) If asterisk does that conversion then, using which file
> does it convert. I want to change code of that file so that I can
> implement
> VAD.

Did you do even the most basic research here before asking this
question?

If you can't find the codec files, you obviously didn't even look.

> 3) If all this is not possible then why they have give so many codec
> files
> in asterisk.

All _what_ is not possible?  Anything is possible.  It would be
possible to implement VAD and DTX for zaptel cards in software.

-SteveK