[Asterisk-Users] VOIP Regulations in INDIA

Julio Arruda jarruda-asterisk at jarruda.com
Fri Apr 15 15:47:59 MST 2005

Vikram Rangnekar wrote:
> Does anyone know the exact VOIP regulations in India. What I want to know is
> that are VOIP EPBX with E1 lines allowed for comapnies in India. For example
> If I am a company which has 1 incomming E1 line can I have SIP or IAX
> extensions inside my office and receive that PSTN call on the VOIP extension.
>
> Another senario would be say my office has a branch in another state and I
> have a leased line or some sort of data network between the two offices can I
> tranfer a PSTN call comming in over the E1 in one state to a VOIP extension
> in another state over the data link between the two offices.
> Telecom in India is over regulated and according to what I figured out that
> both those senario's above are not allowed I hope someone can prove me wrong.
> After reading
> http://www.investindiatelecom.com/BPO%20Regulations/Domestic%20-outgoing.htm
> and
> http://www.dotindia.com/isp/guidelines.doc
>
> I dont see much hope for offices in India who want to use Asterisk with say
> Digium E1 cards as they would need to give a bank draf of 10 lakhs to DOT to
> use VOIP internally.

Vikram,
You may want to contact the local India entity responsible for the
legislation.
There are many details in some countries on the specifics. The other
thing you may need to be aware is that some countries may be now (or in
the future) filtering VOIP traffic (search in google), so you may need
to check if the Internet provider you would be dealing with (you mention
leased line, that should not be a problem so, but just being generic
here..).
I know some other countries do have specific constraints (Panama ?
Mexico ? Brazil ?) and each one a little distinct from the other..