[Asterisk-Users] USB Controller ztdummy

Daniel Bruce Lynes dlynes at 247communications.com
Fri Apr 15 15:10:08 MST 2005

On Friday 15 April 2005 12:51 pm, Michael Di Martino wrote:

> I am attempting my fist asterisk install.
> I do not have any digum cards so use ztdummy.
> However according to the Asterisk install guide it says to look for one
> of the
> following USB controller chips.
> UHCI USB controller of OHCI USB Controller.
>
> However, when I run lsmod to determine which have neither show up.
> Can I continue the install and if I do will I have timing issues?
>

> This is the output of lsmod

cat /proc/pci | grep USB?

You should get a line similar to the following:

    USB Controller: ServerWorks OSB4/CSB5 OHCI USB Controller (rev 4).

Or if using /sbin/lspci -v:

00:0f.2 USB Controller: ServerWorks OSB4/CSB5 OHCI USB Controller (rev 04)
(prog-if 10 [OHCI])
        Subsystem: ServerWorks OSB4/CSB5 OHCI USB Controller

Here, you'll see I'm running an OHCI USB root hub.  Which means if I am going
to use the ztdummy driver, I must be using Kernel 2.6 or higher.

Or, here's another example using 'cat /proc/pci | grep USB':

    USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 USB (rev 1).

As you can see, /proc/pci doesn't detail which type of USB root hub it is, but
'/sbin/lspci -v | grep USB' does:

00:04.2 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 USB (rev 01) (prog-if
00 [UHCI])

As you can see the second machine is using a UHCI root hub.  So, it will work
with the ztdummy driver on both the 2.4 and the 2.6 kernels.

If, when you do one of approaches mentioned above, and you still don't show a
USB device, make sure:
	a) you have a USB device
	b) it isn't disabled in your CMOS setup

If you do have a USB device, it is enabled, and it shows up using one of the
above methods, you need to make sure USB support is configured as a module.
If you're sure it's configured as a module, try one of the following:
	insmod uhci
	insmod usb-ohci
	insmod usb-uhci
	insmod ehci-hcd

If you try all of the four insmods above, and they all produce errors, your
usb hardware probably isn't supported.

If one of them worked, then additionally modprobe the same module.

If you can then load the ztdummy driver:  insmod ztdummy ; modprobe ztdummy

Then, everything's working, and you can change your bootup configuration so
that it automatically loads the USB drivers and the ztdummy driver.  (Make
sure the ztdummy driver gets loaded after the USB driver(s).)