[Asterisk-Users] large analog to asterisk

Harry McGregor hmcgregor at espri.arizona.edu
Fri Apr 15 12:20:47 MST 2005

As others have already posted about methods to reduce the number of T1s
into your Asterisk box, I will look at some other issues, and a differnt
angle.

On Fri, 2005-04-15 at 12:09 -0500, shane fowler wrote:
> we are looking at the ability of being able to convert large phone system
> over to asterisk or if it's possible at all.  The building is two sections
> containing a large office section (with data cabling) and the second section
> is a hotel with no data cabling.  The first section is a no brainer with sip
> hard and soft phones but the hotel part is where the problem lies.
>
> The current count of rooms in the hotel is about 600...that's at a minimum
> 600 analog connections.  Some rooms have 2-3 phones so as a rough number i'm
> saying 700 total.  I see where some people use the Adit 600 to do up to 48
> analog connections that trunks over 2 T1 connections back to asterisk but
> for 700 phones thats 15 Adits with 30 T1's....how in the world would you do
> that??  just several asterisk servers with 2-3 Adits per server?  is there
> any other way?  I'm open to suggestions.

Remember you are dealing with Analog lines here.  Most hotel rooms that
have 3 or 4 phones, only have 1 "line".  They just have multiple
extensions of the same line.  A hotel room with one phone in the
bathroom, one next to the bed, and one on a table, still only needs one
DS0 from your Asterisk system.

Unless the hotel has a really large cable plant, each room probably hits
a wiring closet on it's floor.  I would use the channel banks, large
UPS, and a decent asterisk server (dual power supply, server quality
hardware, mirrored drives) with a Quad T1 card  (or two) for that floor.
I would then use dual Gig E to connect your system.  Probably to two
differnt GigE switches, each on different floors of the hotel.

A 600 room hotel would have at most 75-100 rooms per floor, which you
can easily handle with a single Asterisk server.  Per floor, even with
your Quad T1 card, you should be looking at $3000-3500 for the server,
$1K for the UPS (unless you Ebay the UPS), and then your channel banks.

The only issue here will be cooling for the wiring closet.

			Harry