[Asterisk-Users] Has anyone had problems with Digium TDM400P and hyperthreading?

tmassey at obscorp.com tmassey at obscorp.com
Fri Apr 15 11:10:12 MST 2005

asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com wrote on 04/15/2005 01:45:22 AM:

> Digium have told us that a problem that we are having (with accuracy of
> zap interface as measured using zttest) may be due to the fact that we
> have a Xeon processor with hyperthreading and have suggested turning H/T

> off.

I've never ran Asterisk on an HT-enabled processor.  However, I've had too
many problems to count with HT and Linux.  I turn it off on nearly every
server that has it.  Then again, most of my servers are not CPU bound and
I couldn't care less about the performance.

Also, make sure you update your motherboard's BIOS.  It's responsible for
updating the CPU microcode, and often the BIOS may have newer microcode
than your Linux distribution.

> Anyone else experienced a problem like this?  No too keen about turning
> H/T off, as we're running the SMP RH kernel and don't really feel like
> replacing the kernel (and other kernel-specific bits) on the off chance
> that H/T is actually the problem.

An SMP kernel should run just fine on a single-processor box.  Slower, but
fine.  At least, it works for me...

TIm Massey