[Asterisk-Users] dial plan

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Thu Apr 14 15:00:43 MST 2005

On April 14, 2005 05:48 pm, Michael Di Martino wrote:
> Call come in over the pots lines however Outbound goes out thru the VOIP
> provider.
> However looking at the configs I cannot figure out what controls how
> call are sent out.
> In other words where in the config files does it determine that all
> outbound
> calls go to the VoIP provider?

in extensions.conf.

basically your SIP users' default context will be whatever is defined in their
context= line of their type=user section in sip.conf, falling back to the
context= line in the [general] section of sip.conf if none is specifically
assinged to them.

Simiarly, incoming calls from the PSTN are likely coming in a Zapata device,
and each Zap channel can have a context as defined in zapata.conf.

The asterisk handbook (http://www.digium.com/handbook-draft.pdf) goes through
most of this and is a fairly easy read.  The basic flow is that an incoming
call arrives into a context which is defined in extensions.conf and the
dialplan starts from there.

So when a SIP user makes a call, Asterisk sees an incoming call request from
the SIP user and looks for a matching extension in extensions.conf, in their
defined context.  This context is currently defining the call route to go out
through the VOIP provider.

Hopefully this makes sense.  :-)

-A.