[Asterisk-Users] Toshiba CTX100 integration with PABX for two site

Brian Leyton bleyton at cpe-corp.com
Thu Apr 14 14:14:46 MST 2005

Stephen wrote:

> I need to connect two sites with asterisk integrated with Toshiba ctx100.
> Currently both have 4co and 8 extensions.
>
> Site A starts the extension with 8xx and Site B starts the extension with
1xx.

> How can I integrate two sites with asterisk that is
> transparent to users (which mean users at site B only needs
> to dial 8xx via asterisk and extension at site A rings and
> vice versa) ?
>
> Do I need two asterisk servers at both ends with FXO cards
> and FXS cards with loop back to Toshiba Co line ?

I don't know all of the details yet, but I am embarking on a similar project
with 2 Toshibas and a Panasonic soon.  I've got a test setup right now with
2 asterisks and an x100p card.  I'm sure it can be done though, if we can
solve the one problem mentioned below.

You could do this with only FXO ports in the Asterisk, but then callers
would have to dial an extension, wait for Asterisk to pick up, then dial
more digits.  The smoother way to do it is with both FXS and FXO on each
side (using FXO for incoming calls, and FXS for outgoing).  This way your
Asterisk's FXS port provides dialtone to the Toshiba, and you just need to
grab the right trunk on the Toshiba (by dialing 8 or whatever), then the
remaining digits get passed to Asterisk for further routing.  Very simple &
easy.

The only problem right now is that Toshiba station cards don't provide
hardware disconnect supervision, so when the Toshiba hangs up, Asterisk
doesn't know this & leaves the call connected indefinitely.  The Toshiba can
be programmed to send a DTMF "D" tone upon disconnect, but I haven't found
any way to have Asterisk recognize this as disconnect notification.

I'm still hoping for a solution to that problem, but I haven't found one
yet.  I assume that it will require some additional code in the Zaptel
drivers to accomplish this.

Brian Leyton
IT Manager
Commercial Petroleum Equipment