[Asterisk-Users] TDM400P Revision question.

Robert Webb asterisk at ropeguru.com
Thu Apr 14 09:27:02 MST 2005

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 10:59:11 -0600
  Rich Adamson  <radamson at routers.com> wrote:
> [...]
>> > and can range from about 70v to upwards of 105v.

>>the
>>this
>>with
>> >
>> > Doubtful that is an issue. The reason for saying that
>>is
>> >the chipset
>> > used on the fxo & fxs modules was manufactured by
>> >Silicon Labs, and
>> > those same chipsets are used in other telephony
>> >equipment worldwide.
>> > Silicon Labs is known for good to excellent products.
>>If
>> >their chipsets
>> > didn't function correctly, there would have been a
>>large
>> >uprising a
>> > couple of years ago when those chips were first
>> >produced. That
>> > hasn't happened, and they don't have a lengthy chip
>> >revision history.
>> >
>> > Asterisk code does not have any control over
>> >adding/removing the DC
>> > component during ringing, so that's not an issue
>>either.
>> >Doubtful
>> > that adding/removal the DC component would have any
>> >impact on
>> > normal telephone sets, however there certainly could
>>be
>> >funcky sets
>> > that don't like that DC removal.
>> >
>> > Given the number of postings relative to the TDM card
>> >lately, I don't
>> > remember exactly what your ringing issue was. Could
>>you
>> >remind us
>> > without deleting the significant parts of the above?
>> >

>> Even though it is long, I will leave everything intact.
>>
>> I have had a few issues with dropped calls when using
>>the
>> FXS to FXO connection. Not sure what the issue is with
>> that. THe main issue I have is with the ringing on the
>>FXS
>> card. I have three differnt brands of phones and all
>>three
>> do the same thing. I might get two or three calls in
>>where
>> everything works fine. But then the next one will cause
>> intermittent ringing one all phones and no data for
>>caller
>> id.
>>
>> I have tried every combination of the phones I have that
>> is possible. From only one of each type hooked directly
>> the FXS card to hooking the card to my internal house
>> wiring and using various combos of the phones connected.
>>
>> It almost acts like the phones are requiring just a hair
>> more ring voltage to work properly. That is why I was
>> testing the voltage levels. I will try and grab a
>> different meter to test with.
>
> There is a compile-time option to increase the ring
>voltage.
> I don't recall the specifics, but its likely in wctdm.c
>or
> an associated header file. (As you probably can tell, I

Yes, I do know about the compile time option and it is
enabled. Well, at least the ZAPTEL driver is saying it is.
I will reload the driver without the option and see what
the voltage does.

>> The system is a PIII 933MHZ, VIA chipset and has a 500
>> watt power supply in it. So I don not think it is a
>>power
>> issue from the computer itself.
>
> That shouldn't be a problem at all.
>
>> The reason I asked about the DC offset during ringing,
>>is
>> that on the telco side, I noticed that the offset
>>remained
>> even when ringing voltage was applied. On the TDM, it
>>does
>> not. In the manual for the chipset that someone sent me,
>> there is the option to apply a DC offset voltage during
>> ringing. Additionally, the telco side gives the 93 Volts
>> AC when ringing where the TDM is only supplying the 65
>>AC
>> as according to my meter. These tests were conducted
>> several times to get average readings.
>
> I think you can safely assume that Mark (and/or digium)
>tested
> the fxs modules with at least a couple of phones, so its
>unlikely
> there is a software issue such as the offset parameter
>lurking.
>
>> As far as the issue with DC voltage on the POTS line
>>only
>> being  43.8 DC, my guess was that is just an issue with
>> voltage drop on the line because of distance between me
>> and the CO.
>
> No possible way. If everything is truly on hook, there
>isn't
> any current draw and therefore no way for a voltage drop
> occur. Basic ohm's law.

Thank you for the reminder. Been a while since I have
really used any of this.

>> If I need to answer anything else, please let me know.
>>

>> P.S. - I do realize that that the chipset is a good
>> shipset. I am just wondering if everything is setup
>> correctly in the zaptel driver for the proper
>>programming
>> of the registers in the chipset to make it function
>>within
>> specs.
>
> I don't know about the fxs module, but I know for a fact
>that
> the fxo module has more capability then what has been
>implemented
> in the current driver.

Would you by any chance have the manual for the module on
the FXO card?? I have the one for the FXS. In fact, I
think you sent it to me.