[Asterisk-Users] TDM400P Revision question.

Robert Webb asterisk at ropeguru.com
Thu Apr 14 07:36:25 MST 2005

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 08:14:37 -0600
  Rich Adamson  <radamson at routers.com> wrote:

>>TDM400P
>> > revisions.
>>one
>> > should have
>>able to
>> > verify the
>>that I
>> > have the Rev.
>>Digium and was
>>problems but only
>> > >

>> I did some more testing today. I called Digium on 4/12
>>and they
>> suggested some things to try, like different
>>motherboard, switching pci
>> slots, etc.. I did everything they asked, except for the
>>mother switch
>> as I do not have a different one to put in the system at
>>this time.
>>
>> So, after all that, my ringing issue still persists. Too
>>some
>> measurements from bot the card and my POTS line in both
>>the on-hook
>> state and ringing state. I uses a digital multi-meter to
>>make the
>> measurements on both. Here are the results....
>>
>> TDM400P
>>
>> Before slot change:
>>
>> On hook idle:
>>
>> 43.8 Volts DC
>> 0    Volts AC
>>
>> Ringing:
>>
>> 0    Volts DC
>> 56.4 Volts AC
>>
>> After slot change:
>>
>> On hook idle:
>>
>> 48.7 Volts DC
>> 0    Volts AC
>>
>> Ringing:
>>
>> 0    Volts DC
>> 65.5 Volts AC
>
> We can only assume the above represents a fxs module on
>the
> card. Correct?
>
> I would find it hard to believe that changing slots
>would cause
> the on hook DC voltage to change from 43v to 48v. That
>smells like
> a funcky voltmeter. Slots should have nothing to do with
>DC
> voltage unless the module is simply bad. The AC
>(ringing) voltage
> is reasonable, but again it should not have changed
>simply
> because of a slot change; again, questionable voltmeter.
>
>> On my POTS line:
>>
>> On hook idle:
>>
>> 43.8 Volts DC
>> .013 Volts AC
>>
>> Ringing:
>>
>> 50.5 Volts DC
>> 93.9 Volts AC
>
> The on hook DC voltage from all US telco's will
>factually be
> in the 48v to 52v range. If their central office
>equipment produced
> 43 volts, they would have alarms going off all over the
>place.
> Their alarms would trigger somewhere in the 46 to 48
>volt range.
> So, that measurement implies the voltmeter is not
>accurate.
> [...]

Even though it is long, I will leave everything intact.

I have had a few issues with dropped calls when using the
FXS to FXO connection. Not sure what the issue is with
that. THe main issue I have is with the ringing on the FXS
card. I have three differnt brands of phones and all three
do the same thing. I might get two or three calls in where
everything works fine. But then the next one will cause
intermittent ringing one all phones and no data for caller
id.

I have tried every combination of the phones I have that
is possible. From only one of each type hooked directly to
the FXS card to hooking the card to my internal house
wiring and using various combos of the phones connected.

It almost acts like the phones are requiring just a hair
more ring voltage to work properly. That is why I was
testing the voltage levels. I will try and grab a
different meter to test with.

The system is a PIII 933MHZ, VIA chipset and has a 500
watt power supply in it. So I don not think it is a power
issue from the computer itself.

The reason I asked about the DC offset during ringing, is
that on the telco side, I noticed that the offset remained
even when ringing voltage was applied. On the TDM, it does
not. In the manual for the chipset that someone sent me,
there is the option to apply a DC offset voltage during
ringing. Additionally, the telco side gives the 93 Volts
AC when ringing where the TDM is only supplying the 65 AC
as according to my meter. These tests were conducted
several times to get average readings.

As far as the issue with DC voltage on the POTS line only
being  43.8 DC, my guess was that is just an issue with
voltage drop on the line because of distance between me
and the CO.

If I need to answer anything else, please let me know.

P.S. - I do realize that that the chipset is a good
shipset. I am just wondering if everything is setup
correctly in the zaptel driver for the proper programming
of the registers in the chipset to make it function within
specs.