how to ask for help [was: Re: [Asterisk-Users] need urgent help]

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir at cohens.org.il
Thu Apr 14 02:31:23 MST 2005

On Thu, Apr 14, 2005 at 01:51:51PM +0500, amna saleem wrote:
> hi!
> I have already memtioned the error i am getting on my cli ie"flexible
> rate not heavily tested".....
> I am also getting a warning ,something like "broken -pipe"
> I need urgent help plz reply

If you need urgent help, I humblly suggest that you pay for one.

However if you want to get help from the members of this list, you
should make it easier for them to answer you.

I heartly recommend ESR's "Asking questions the Smart Way":
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html , because your
question was very unuseful. In a busy list such as this one you should
help the list members help you.

1. Use a meaningful subject. Such a subject can get you filtered out by
   spam filters and by the mental filters of this list's members.

2. Don't start a new thread for each message. Reply to your previous
   message. If someone has already provided you useful information
   and/or there are already useful details elsewhere, you should give
   them.

3. What platform do you use?

  - Distro?
  - Version of Asterisk?
  - Extra libraries? Versions?
  - The processor and the board may be interesting sometimes.

4. If you get errors What operation exactly leads to the error?

  The standard for for that (if you don't have any better way)

  I do XYZ.
  I expect to get ABC but I get CDE

--
Tzafrir Cohen         | New signature for new address and  |  VIM is
http://tzafrir.org.il | new homepage                       | a Mutt's