[Asterisk-Users] Local Echo

Neal Walton asterisk at letourneau-ss.com
Wed Apr 13 07:36:02 MST 2005

Hi,
It's not probable that the delay is "just in the sidetone".  It is more
probable that the echo is caused by reflected energy somewhere very far
downline, perhaps even at the far terminating end of the call.  Yes, I know
that the person at the far end of the call does not hear an echo, but that
doesn't mean that the far end is not the cause of the problem.  Think about
this:  If I scream and the energy is reflected by the wall of a building, I
will hear an echo.  If you stand at that wall and listen, you will only
hear me scream but not the echo.  You will never hear an echo at the point
where the reflection occurs because there will be no delay at that point.
 You will only hear an echo somewhere away from the reflection point so
that the signal will have some time delay caused by the travel path.  If
you hear an echo, the reflection is somewhere away from you so that there
can be a delay caused by the signal going somewhere and then coming back.
 Try this experiment: call a number that is answered directly by the
asterisk box and see if you get the echo.  If you do, it is definitely a
local problem.
Regards,
Neal