[Asterisk-Users] DS3000P - 20 E1 capacity on single card

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Wed Apr 13 04:36:14 MST 2005

On April 12, 2005 11:36 pm, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
> Also, keep in mind that a DS3 is _only_ 45 megabits per second. Any PCI
> bus (even lowly 33MHz 32-bit PCI) can easily handle 90 megabits per

Yes, but then what are you doing with it?  You're shuttling the new data
to/from a network card in a lot of cases.  Combined with other traffic over
the PCI bus for normal system operation I could see you coming close to the
limitations of regular ole PCI.

> second of traffic. People looking a DS3 cards are also likely to deploy
> them in servers with multiple independent PCI buses, which would then
> allow for even more bandwidth. The mind boggles at the possibilities!

True enough, but you still need to marshall the data going between PCI busses
and to system memory.  Certainly not impossible problems to overcome but they
do add to the fun of getting a low latency VOIP system together.

-A.