[Asterisk-Users] Cisco 7960s and skinny

Julien Goodwin asterisk-lists at studio442.com.au
Wed Apr 13 01:29:51 MST 2005

On Tue, Apr 12, 2005 at 04:38:10PM -0500, Andy Hamilton arranged a set of bits into the following:
> Simon:
>
> I have had Skinny going on a 7960 (which I then reimaged to SIP). I
> currently run a 7910 on Skinny (using chan_sccp) and use the
> aforementioned 7960 simultaneously.
>
> Since you mentioned that you will have 50 phones, I assume you are
> using them in a business setting.  I would *highly* recommend using
> SIP, as I have found that the skinny driver is not as reliable as it
> could be (not criticizing Jan or Julien at all, here).
Even if you were, my own view is that chan_sccp is probably not the
thing to run on a client's PBX (not sure how good chan_skinny is, didn't
work the first time I tried which is why I do chan_sccp). My own
personal one, yes, a business where I worked full time and had
safe_asterisk or similar working, perhaps, anywhere else no.

My biggest task is getting in some of the big bugfixes and bad behavior
fixes that have been major issues. In testing at the moment is a fix to
allow speeddials to work at any time (meaning you could in theory create
a speeddial that auto-navigated a remote IVR), instead of crashing if
the handset was up. My next task is to get subscribe/notify working (if
anyone has looked at this code could they drop me a few pointers), which
should be pretty easy. Another thing which I might do is implement a
live/hot keypad so any keypress triggers a call, some people seem to
like this, but I personally can't stand it. (In any case it should be a
< 5 line patch if enabled all the time closer to 50 lines when you have
a per-device config option.

Also I've finally updated the web site to clean it up and hopefully add
some more info.