[Asterisk-Users] Line Noise HELP!

Daniel Bruce Lynes dlynes at 247communications.com
Tue Apr 12 14:20:52 MST 2005

On Monday 11 April 2005 10:48 am, Damian Funnell wrote:

> Hi Paul, there was a thread yesterday in regards to a few of us
> experiencing a very similar problem - a problem that (if the same for all
> of us), doesn't seem to have been properly diagnosed yet.
>
>  One thing that appeared to be common to all of us was the version of
> Asterisk that we are running (1.0.6), is this the version that you are
> running?  What FXO card are you using?
>
>  Does the noise that you are complaining about occur on every call and, if
> so, always after exactly a minute, or is it more random?
>
>  Starting to wonder if there isn't a problem with Stable, interested to
> hear what version you're running.

Afraid not.  We were having the same problem.  It occurred with Snom220 and
analogue phones hooked up to Sipura 2000's and 3000's.  It happened whether
we were doing internal calls, or outgoing calls.  Eventually, we had to pull
our machine out.

We were using:

Asterisk CVS-v1-0-04/04/05-02:14:16 built by root at localhost.localdomain on a
i686 running Linux

The Linux distribution was:

Fedora Core release 2 (Tettnang)

We had 256MB's of memory, 1GB swap space, 866MHz 64KB cache VIA Nehemiah (1714
bogomips).

What would happen is that after a minute or less, we would start getting voice
distortion (slight vibrational sound to the voice), which would eventually
worsen until it was so bad after a couple of minutes that you couldn't
understand what the person on the other end of the line was saying.  Also,
the volume through the snom220 was very low, sometimes so low that if there
was background noise in your surroundings, you wouldn't be able to hear the
person on the other end of the line.  During the whole time (from start of
connection), a slight echo was also discernible on the line.

Other aspects of this environment that might have some effect:
	- installation was originally ground-start; we switched it over to loop-start
	- there were 14 sipura 2000's
	- 3 sipura 3000's
	- 3 outbound lines
	- 31 analogue phones
	- 1 snom220 voip phone w/extra keys
	- 1 DLink 24-port switch
	- 1 power outlet
	- 5(?) power bars (to power DLink and all sipura units)

Additionally, the wiring was relatively old in this building (it was located
in a small town about 1-1/2 hours from the nearest city).

Perhaps with this information, you might be able to get some other ideas on
what the problem is.