[Asterisk-Users] Local Echo

Jeff Heath jheath1 at optonline.net
Tue Apr 12 14:54:05 MST 2005

Here's what's happening.

First some background.   Anytime there's a 4 wire (T-1) to 2 wire (local
subscriber loop) conversion (this is called a hybrid) there's a good
chance that some electrical energy will be reflected.  This is because
there is usually an impedance mismatch between the 4 wire and 2 wire
circuits.

This happens all the time in the local telco.  You come in to switch A
and are destined for switch Z.  The telco transports the traffic between
A and Z over T-1 (which is muxed up to T-3 or SONET).  When the T-1 gets
to switch Z it eventually gets attached to a 2 wire local loop (POTS) to
get to the far end.  Energy from A is reflected back towards A by the
hybrid at the Z side.

But reflected energy is only one of two necessary conditions for echo.
The other condition is sufficient delay for a human being to perceive it
as echo.  In order for us to perceive it as echo, the reflected energy
must be delayed by about 25 msec.  Anything less than that and we
perceive it as sidetone (sidetone is actually a good thing).

The local telephone company doesn't have echo cancelers in their network
because they don't need them.  Why? because in the local POTS network
you'll never have a call that is delayed by more than 25 msec.  Long
distance carriers (IXCs) install echo cancelers because their customers
will experience delays longer than 25 msec, but not local telcos.

Now introduce VoIP.  VoIP turns every call (even the simple setup you
outlined) into a long distance call.  If you have your jitter buffer set
to 3 you've introduced 60 msec of delay.  I forget the rule of thumb for
distance vs electrical delay, but I think you can go from NY to SanDiego
in about 85 msec.

That explains why the echo is there.  What I can't help you with (I've
got lots of telecom experience, but little Asterisk experience) is
changing the settings in Asterisk to cancel it.  The good news, though,
is that this is a straight-forward echo cancellation problem, and once
you find someone who knows what the right settings are, you should be
able to get rid of it.

-- Jeff Heath