[Asterisk-Users] Changing DTMF mode depending on codec chosen

Andre Normandin anorman at superdata.com
Tue Apr 12 14:22:45 MST 2005

Hi Rich,

Thanks for the very detailed way to setup BV with *.. Actually, I've had
asterisk and BV working both incoming and outgoing since May of last year..
You are quite correct, though.. I'm by no means an expert in *, but there
was a good week or two of scratching my head back then to try and get it to
work reliably with BV.. I have to admit, once it works, it just works,
though (Minus the irriating sound problems, but that isn't a BV specific
problem)..

I was more curious if there was a way to detect which codec was chosen for a
specific call, and be able to adjust the dtmfmode accordingly.. If you know
of any way to have * detect the codec and switch dtmfmode on the fly (per
call), I'd love to hear how to do that.

As you aptly pointed out, BV isn't consistant in their g.729 implementation.
It works sometimes, others I get ulaw.  As with you, bandwidth is precious,
so I would love to save it whenever possible.. But, if I cannot make the
dtmfmode reliable, I'll have to stick with ulaw.

Thanks again,
         - Andre