[Asterisk-Users] Multiple Servers and 1 Central Voicemail

Johnathan Corgan jcorgan at aeinet.com
Tue Apr 12 14:27:31 MST 2005

Jason Brown wrote:

> Trust me though, I promise, 1 central VM store does work and work well in an asterisk environment.

But I haven't seen addressed the issue of two or more servers sharing
this central VM store, when running the Voicemail application.  Sure,
MWI should have no problems in the scenario you described, but what
about two or more Voicemail applications running on different servers,
sharing the /mnt/asterisk/vm tree, and simultaneously adding and
removing voicemails from a users mailbox?

What if a user is checking/deleting voicemail on one * server while
another person is dialed in a different server, leaving him a voicemail?
Does * handle this safely?

There's all sorts of issues of contention I can think of, and all of
them have well-known solutions based on file locking.  But does * use them?

I'm not trying to over-complicate things.  Someone proposed sharing a
voicemail filesystem hierarchy between multiple * servers and I'm
wondering if * has been programmed to safely handle the concurrency
problems that would occur.

Guess I'll go digging through the source code.

-Johnathan