[Asterisk-Users] g729 versus g711

snacktime snacktime at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 11:34:24 MST 2005

I'm curious which of these codecs is more affected by latency and
packet loss?  I'm testing both of them out in a scenario where both
ends of the call have good connectivity, but the distance between them
is at least 8 hops and some latency is involved.  One end is my * box
and the other end is teliax/livevoip.  My * box is a 3ghz dell
poweredge dedicated to * with low call volume and a 100mbps connection
directly to internap.

So far I seem to get better quality with ulaw.

Chris