[Asterisk-Users] Multiple Servers and 1 Central Voicemail

Jason Brown jason at bpns.net
Tue Apr 12 10:55:55 MST 2005

I think you guys are making this out to be tougher than it actually is.

I created an NFS share on a machine called asterisk.

Then I created a folder on my asterisk box called /mnt/asterisk.

Then I mounted the NFS share on the asterisk box to the asterisk share.

Then I moved the directories that were in the local asterisk machine /var/spool/asterisk (what are there - incoming, outgoing, voicemail, and another) to the /mnt/asterisk folder.

The hack up /etc/asterisk/asterisk.conf and change the spool directory to /mnt/asterisk.

Asterisk doesn't know any better, it passes MWI info based on what's in the /spool/voicemail/vm-context directory, it don't care where it is as long as you told it where the spool directory is located in asterisk.conf.

As for people with more than 1 server, admittedly, I don't use asterisk realtime db. I use MySQL DB that writes configs to the flat files because the consensus was that realtime MySQL wasn't reliable. In my network, the config files are rewritten every 5 minutes from db by a cron job, with asterisk getting a reload command. Once it get to the multiple server issuue I am just going to expand my provisioning script so that I can pick which server to provision asterisk box X or ata Y to. Then each server will write configs to the flatfiles from MySQL based on server.

Trust me though, I promise, 1 central VM store does work and work well in an asterisk environment.