[Asterisk-Users] Re: From OH323 to SIP or OH323 without gatekeeper

Bruno Hertz brrhtz at yahoo.de
Tue Apr 12 06:12:17 MST 2005

"Guillermo Salas M." <gsalas at manta.telconet.net> writes:

> Bruno Hertz wrote:
>> "Joe S" <printingfoot at hotmail.com> writes:
>>
>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>I am new with asterisk. I was wondering if there is a way to call a
>>>OH323 user or SIP user using Netmeeting/SJPhone with H323 as the
>>>default protocol without having a gatekeeper.
>>>
>>>I can make a call from SIP to OH323 by specifying it in the
>>>extensions.conf file, like:
>>>
>>>exten=>1001, 1, Dial(OH323/10.10.10.1)
>>>
>>>so I was wondering if there was a way to call from OH323 to SIP or OH323.
>> Sure. Just specify in oh323.conf the context where incoming calls
>> should go. That context then can include dial statements for any
>> protocol, SIP, H323, IAX, whatever. See the Wiki for details on how to
>> setup dial plans.
>> Finally, instruct your H323 phone to use asterisk as a gateway
>> resp. proxy, not a gatekeeper. Any calls will then go through
>> asterisk, and to the context you specified.
>> I'm doing that with Gnomemeeting all the time, and it works without
>> problems.
>
> Mayabe can you show us a little sample? I can call from Gnomemeeting
> to Xlite, but no from xlite to gnomemeeting.

Well, the direction GM -> XLite basically was what we were talking
about. For the other direction, i.e. calling an H323 client without
gatekeeper, you simply dial the IP address or domain of the client,
like

 Dial(OH323/yourclient.yourdomain.com:1720)

or

 Dial(OH323/192.168.0.123:1720)

somewhere in your Dialplan. E.g. if you want to do XLite -> GM, such a
dial statement should be part of the context into which your incoming
SIP calls are routed, as specified in sip.conf.

Example:

 * sip.conf
 context=default

 * extensions.conf
 [default]
 exten => 123,1,Dial(OH323/192.168.0.123:1720)

I.e. dialing '123' with XLite registered on your server would in this
case result in calling a hopefully running H323 client on IP address
192.168.0.123.

Of course, if your H323 clients use dialup connections, setting up a
dial plan for them without using a gatekeeper may prove to be
troublesome.

Regards, Bruno.