[Asterisk-Users] Q931 Setup message

Eugenio De Vena edevena at gsy.it
Mon Apr 11 15:25:44 MST 2005

Hello Everyone,
I am working with a J4BRI and it works ok with our national provider ( TelecomItalia ) and when connected
to ISDN pabx ( Ericsson and Tenovis ). We now have switch to a new telco provider ( Fastweb ) which brings
you S0 via Cisco 1760 VIC-2BRI interface. They say ( and Cisco says ) that VIC-2BRI emulate perfectly the
national isdn standard, but I found that it is not true. First of all I have to switch 3-4 and 5-6 pin of the isdn cable,
otherways is not going to work, not too bad but anyway... The critical thing is that I can not receive calls!
The normal ( telco and pabx ) Q931 SETUP message arrives like this:

08 01 2c 05 a1  04 03 80 90 a3 where:

08 means Q931 message
01 length of call reference field
2c call reference field
a1 sending complete
04 next is bearer cap
03 80 90 is bearer cap

and so on

when I connect the J4BRI to the VIC-2BRI I receive

08 01 2f  05 04 03 80 90 a3 ....... a1

so the a1 ( sending complete ) arrives at the end of the SETUP message. After the bearer cap , the
calling number and the called number.

Asterisk does not recognize this byte stream as a SETUP message and so discards it.
Is there anything I can do or is a developer problem?