[Asterisk-Users] Suggestions about where to start from

francesco.pellegrini at frameweb.it francesco.pellegrini at frameweb.it
Mon Apr 11 11:24:47 MST 2005

Hallo,

I'm new to this list and in general to the Asterisk community.
I'm looking for some pointer to useful info about how to start working with
Asterisk.
The main goal for me is to have a working PBX with the following specs:

1) External (PSTN) lines
   Must link to ISDN BRI lines (2 or 3, EuroISDN)

2) Hardware for interfacing ISDN lines is Teles 16.3 or Natural
Microsystems AG2000 BRI

3) Phones should all be IP Phones (SIP? IAX? soft? hard?)

4) Need to connect also IP phones located at different site than the PBX
  (i.e. at home, connected via ADSL through the Internet)

However the very first problems that need to be addressed are telephony
hardware compatibility, availability of SIP "hard-phones" (softphones are
fascinating, but useful only for geeks; average users want to use a regular
phone)

Is Asterisk at home a good point to start with or does it have some limitation
that may
interfere with future enhancements?

Thanks in advance to all of you

Francesco Pellegrini