[Asterisk-Users] PortaSIP/PortaBilling incompatibility (provider: sipcall.ch)

gramels gramels at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 11:18:43 MST 2005

On Apr 5, 2005 8:24 PM, Andreas Greulich <andreas.greulich at spl.ch> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Using the Swiss VoIP provider "sipcall.ch" (same software as "citytell.ch" and
> "voip-guest.ch") I seem to be unable to successfully authenticate, while X-Lite
> is able to authenticate. From messages earlier posted in this mailing list
> (<http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/asterisk-users/2004-November/071986.html>
> and
> <http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/asterisk-users/2004-December/075781.html>)
> the problem seems to be "some authentication features" that were missing...
> unfortunately I didn't really understand the problem as described in these
> mailings. From the link
> <http://forum.portaone.com/index.php?act=Print&client=printer&f=3&t=236> one
> could suppose that there's a Cisco Radius fetaure missing (but I'm not sure
> about it). On Wikipedia, I found the info at
> <http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-PortaOne+Radius+auth> - which I tried to install,
> but still no success. After all I think these patches only add Radius
> capabilities allowing * to authenticate calling clients, but it probably has
> nothing to do with * authenticating itself to a system using PortaSIP. Or am I
> missing something? What exactly _IS_ the problem?

I had the same issue. Received the following reply from sipcall
support and the portasip vendor:

---
If Useragent field in this config corresponds to User-Agent field in
Asterisk's SIP messages and you may change it to something that doesn't
contain a word Asterisk - please try to do so; in such case PortaSIP
will not apply remote IP auth.
---

after putting

useragent=portasipfriendly (not asterisk)
in the sip.conf general section all worked fine

seems a starnge piece of code to me...

-L