[Asterisk-Users] "s" extension doesn't work with ata

Eric Wieling eric at fnords.org
Sat Apr 9 09:41:43 MST 2005

Drew Einhorn wrote:

> The ATA generates it's own dialtone, and waits for
> the user to dial a number, before sending anything
> to the * box.  So one of the first examples in the
> in the Brief Introduction to Dialplans from
> Vol. 1 of the Asterisk Documentation Project.
>
> 	[incoming]
> 	exten => s,1,Answer()
> 	exten => s,2,Playback(goodbye)
> 	exten => s,3,Hangup()
>
> does not work.  The ATA generates a Dialtone
> and waits for the user to dial, then as soon
> as the user presses some keys.  The ATA sends
> that extension was not found in [incoming]
>
> This example is elaborated into a simple example
> IVR.
>
> But how do we get the intial prompt to play
> on an ATA?

In MY extensions.conf I have a comment above [incoming] that says
something like "Calls without a destination number land here, usually
from the PSTN".

"s" is ONLY EVER called when Asterisk doesn't know what number was
dialed.  This (generally) only happens if a call is coming in on an
ANALOG port, or if the call is coming in on a T-1/E-1 port that does
not have DID/DDI service on it.

An IP Phone or ATA normally send the number dialed to Asterisk and
therefore if you dial 5551212 then the ATA will send the call to exten
=> 5551212,1,Blah(....

Now if your ATA is not sending the correct numbers or not waiting for
you to finish dialing then the problem is with ATA and NOT Asterisk.
You didn't bother to tell us what ATA you are using, so I can't really
give you any more advice.

--
Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
Mark Twain