[Asterisk-Users] UK ISDN with Asterisk

John Daragon john at argv.co.uk
Sat Apr 9 06:40:36 MST 2005

Henry Owens wrote:

> John,
>
> Thanks very much for the detailed response, that sounds pretty much like
> what i'm looking for (1x BT ISDN2e and 1x analogue). Are you using one
> of the Digium 4 port BRI cards, or what hardware are you using?

I'm using an AVM Fritz card with chan_capi.  They're pretty cheap on
eBay if you're suffering sticker shock...  Of course, they're not as
efficient as the active ones, but they're a lot cheaper and you already
own the PC, I guess.

> It would be my intention to use the ISDN primarily for incoming, and
> VoIP for outgoing to cut costs, and increase functionality. You
> mentioned your PSTN number is routed to you via IAX; can that number be
> included in local directories?

Hmmmm... Probably not.  I'm using vioptalk.org's Prepay Silver which
allocates a geographic number. But it's *voiptalk's* number as far as
the network is concerned, so I've no idea how you'd get it into a
directory. I chose this because, although the company is ex-directory, I
want people to be able to phone back so I'll show the geographic number
in outgoing CLI. Some providers allow you to specify your own CLI on
outgoing SIP, if that's any use.

> I don't think the analogue CLI should be a problem, since the ISDN
> should be taking most of the incoming calls. Does CLI work ok on the ISDN?

Oh, yes.  Of course, it's not *quite* the same. Here's an example :

Analogue CLI :    01460 234068

ISDN CLI*    :    441460234068

So if you want to call people back, you're going to have to play with
extensions.conf...

* Yes, I *know* that's not what it's really called...

> At this point i would intend to use only 1 ISDN card, so i'll cross the
> multiple card bridge when (and if) i come to it.

OK.

Drop me an email if you need any help (bearing in mind that paying
clients get first dibs on my time!).

jd

John Daragon                                          john at argv.co.ok
argv[0] limited
Lambs Lawn Cottage,  Staple Fitzpaine,  Taunton,  TA3 5SL,  UK
v +44 (0) 1460 234068   f +44 (0) 1460 234069   m +44 (0) 7836 576127